Wednesday, October 16, 2013

Where I'm From Poem

I am from hope
from pictures and books
I am from the laughter of my family
(bubbling and joyful)
I am from the rich strawberry patch
The barbed red rose bush
whose long gone limbs I remember
as if they were my own.


I’m from chocolate chip cookies and pudgy fingers
from David and Suzanne
I’m from the religious and idiotic
and from the imaginative.
I’m from I love you! and Jesus is with you!
and O’ Come All Ye Faithful!
I’m from Thanksgiving dinners without stuffing
I’m from Minneapolis and a long line of royalty.
Taco Bake and fudge
From my dad riding a child’s motorcycle at age 16
Black hair lashing at his face in the wind.


I’m from the castle of my great-grandfather’s
Over in Germany
Where it was built to protect us
Where my great-grandfather sacrificed it all for love
Giving up fortunes and heritage

Letting true love lead him home.

1 comment:

  1. I like your ending sentence. It is a really good background for your heritage and it sends a good message. This is a very good poem that you must have worked hard on.

    ReplyDelete